Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lost in Vienna

This past September, my parents traveled to Europe.

First of all, imagine what it must be like traveling with my mom to a different country. She insists on bringing a hot pot so she can continue cooking in hotel rooms. She asks her helpers to pack all sorts of fruits and vegetables for them, despite the family's repeated experiences of having to eat everything at customs or throw it all out upon arriving at the destination country.

And my poor father, now he has to travel alone with my mom.

My parents continued to use their iPhones in Europe, despite whatever exorbitant fees they ended up paying. So once in a while, I would get text messages from them. But imagine my surprise (or should I have been surprised?) when I received this one.

DAD: I cannot find mom please help.

What???

ME: Where are you? What happened? Did you try Find My Friends?

DAD: We are in Vienna. Mom get mad and run off. Her phone off.

ME: Dad, I can't help you from here. Is she at the hotel? Try the local authorities, and if they can't help, the US Embassy.

....

Twelve or so hour later, I texted him again.

ME: Did you find mom?

DAD: Yes.

I got the full story later. Apparently, they were at a cafe, and even though it was busy, they were loitering about and taking their time. Since my mom is super cheap, she was slowly sipping at a glass on wine (at this point in the story, I exclaimed, "Mom was drinking wine?!?!") and my dad was nursing a beer. The waiter was fed up with them taking up space and not buying anything, so brought my dad another beer even though he hadn't asked for it. My mom, furious at my father for ordering another beer, stormed off. She even turned off her cell phone so my dad couldn't reach her. But they found each other again eventually, and I wish I could tell you that they lived happily ever after.

I mentioned this story again a few months later, and my mom denied that she had been drinking wine. So who knows what actually happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment