Friday, January 3, 2014

Sun Goddess


My mom went skiing this past week, and when she showed me pictures of herself, I was a little confused.

"You're wearing a sun hat? Where's your helmet?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm wearing my helmet too. See?" she pointed out her helmet perched on top of her sun hat.

"Mom, why do you need a hat? Aren't you wearing goggles? Wait, where are your goggles??"

"I am wearing goggles, they are right here," she pointed to her goggles slung around her neck.

"Wait, so your goggles are under your helmet? How does that even work???"

"Oh, it's good. It works well."

My husband then pointed out to my mom that if she can fit a sunhat AND her goggles under her helmet, then her helmet doesn't fit correctly. Which explains why she always hurts herself when she falls and hits her head while she's skiing. Awesome. But then I wonder... my mom is always telling me (and her patients) to go out in the sun without sunblock on to get enough vitamin D. To which my husband and I always tell her that that is bad medical advice because sun exposure without sunblock causes skin cancer and wrinkles. So she refuses to wear sunblock because she wants to get more sun, but she wears a ridiculous sun hat under her helmet to avoid sun. Hmm...

Anyways, somebody please design a ski helmet with a wide brimmed visor so Asian moms can ski and maintain their porcelain complexions- even if they won't wear sunblock and are still trying to get more sun in order to increase their vitamin D levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment