Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Our Wedding Day

This is apparently my husband's favorite story about my parents. You can judge whether or not it deserves that status; I for one don't find it particularly amusing or even unusual, given what I know about my parents.

My husband and I got married nearly 4 years ago. A good friend of mine was our wedding planner, and he had a very neat spreadsheet outlining the schedule for the day. Since it was an Asian wedding, after all, we scheduled the ceremony to start 15 minutes after we told guests to arrive in order to account for the well known Asian time phenomenon. The bridal party, however, met much earlier for pictures and such at the wedding site.

Taking pictures before the wedding!
Then, about 15 minutes before the ceremony was supposed to start, all of us went to freshen up and hide in our getting-ready-room. My parents hadn't arrived yet, but it was still early. Then 4-o'clock came by, the time what we had asked our guests to arrive. Still no parents. We called and texted to no avail. My husband was incredulous: who is late to their own daughter's wedding?! My wedding planner was frantic. Myself? I shocked both my sister and myself by not being surprised at all and remaining calm. Heck, it's my wedding- it'll start when we're ready, right?

As time passed, we started feeling sorry for our guests, left outside waiting for the wedding to start in the March California sun. Maybe they were thinking that one of us had developed last minute cold feet! Finally, at 4:30, my parents showed up, offering no apologies. Apparently, my demented 80+ year old grandmother didn't want to come to the wedding, so they were late trying to get her to leave the hotel. Why hadn't they called or returned our texts? Who knows.

Daddy getting his boutonniere pinned on by yours truly.

My dad got his boutonniere, we took some last minute hurried pictures, and we got things rolling. Really late, but at the end of the day, we were happily married and had one more funny story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment