Thursday, June 22, 2017

Peeping Mom



So, I do yoga at CorePower. They have two classes I like to take, CorePower 1 and Hot Power Fusion. I've taken my parents to CorePower 1 before, but never to Hot Power Fusion. Somehow, against my better judgment, I asked my mom if she'd like to go with me to Hot Power Fusion.

ME: Mom, it's a heated class, so don't forget to bring a towel and a water bottle.

MOM: Okay, okay.

ME: Mom, yoga class starts on time. And they lock the door if you aren't there on time. Class is at 9:30am. Can you be there on time?

MOM: Of course, of course.

ME: No, really, Mom. Like you won't be able to get in if you're late.

MOM: Yes, yes, I'll be on time.

ME: They'll lock the door. If you are going to be late, you're better off not showing up at all.

MOM: Yes, yes. Okay.

ME: ...Okaaay....

-------------------------

The next morning, I text her that I might be late myself, since I'm dropping off the kids. But once I realize that I'll be able to make it, I text her to let her know.

And then, I arrive at class. No Mom. I text her. No response. So finally, I put my phone in my locker and go into class. I lay out my mat on the side of the room furthest from the wall of windows. Class starts, and I'm a little disappointed. To be completely honest, my mom is always bragging at how fit she is, I sort of wanted to see if this class would be hard for her and then I could show off. Not the point of yoga, I am aware. (And also, I'm really not that good at yoga either.)

Twenty minutes into class, out of the corner of my eye, I see somebody scurrying by to the door. Mom. Of course, the door is locked. I see her scurry back and forth a few times, and then she's gone. I go back to my breathing and following the calm voice of the yoga instructor.

And then I see her again. She is standing at the window, face and hands pressed against the glass, peering inside.



I feel my blood begin to boil. And not because it's a million degrees in yoga class, which it is. I keep telling myself to ignore her, breathe, and don't let her destroy my zen.

I'd also like to point out that a google search of "face pressed against glass" brings up lots of great finds...

We are at least 5 poses away from the end of class. Breathe, Alice, in... out... don't look at the window... 


We finally settle into the final shavasana (corpse pose) and I'm so glad I get to close my eyes for the rest of class and not see what I know is over at the window...



What I'm seeing on the backs of my eyelids during shavasana...

My body is still, but my mind begins to race. What do I say to her now? I am so angry and annoyed, but I don't want to let her actions affect the usual peace and focus that follows my yoga practice.


So I channel my inner Elsa. I emerge from shavasana, roll up my mat, fold up my towel, and head to the locker room. I see Mom coming into the studio, brushing brusquely by the yoga instructor, who while she passes, tells her, "You know, what you were doing was very distracting..."

My mom interrupts, "I'm here to see my daughter!"

Sh*t. Cover blown. I walk into the locker room, and my mom follows me. I remove my belongings from my locker and walk out to my car, and my mom catches up to me there.

"Mom, I can't deal with this right now, " I tell her. Then I get into my car and leave. 😳


No comments:

Post a Comment